2.03 Site Appropriateness – A Client’s Guide
On selecting a site you should take the following into consideration:
- Easy access. A clearance of no less than 4 metres wide and 4.5 metres above the ground (?head? clearance).
- The site must be capable of taking the weight of a fire engine (about 17 tonnes) in all weather conditions.
- Vehicle and pedestrian movement on the site.
- The slope and/or unevenness of the ground.
- The availability of mains electric, phone, water and toilets.
- The existing activities that take place at the site and the impact on your event.
- The existing buildings, trees, hedges and plants.
- Parking considerations.
- The ability to have the grass cut short and cuttings raked clear before installation of equipment.
- There is ample clear space to enable the occupants of any marquee to get to a place of safety in the event of a fire.
- Overhead obstacles including overhead cables. Marquees must not be positioned under overhead power cables.